cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-26-2007, 05:28 PM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Rescue Dawn

I rented this DVD last week:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462504/

It is directed by Werner Herzog and is based on a true story about a US Navy pilot shot down over Laos who was a POW and then escaped. I believe he was the only US POW in the Viet Nam War to successfully escape.

I am big fan of true stories, especially when the filmmakers go the extra mile to stay true to the historical account, as they did in this case. It is a remarkable story. Highly recommended.

There was some superb acting in this film. As the story progresses, the characters lose weight and become much thinner. I wondered how this was done, since that is more than a camera trick. I did a little research and found that the main actors lost weight before the film and they then filmed the movie in reverse. Over the six weeks or so of the filming, they ate rich food so as to gain weight quickly. It is amazing how much weight they lost for this film. Especially Jeremy Davies:

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/04625...th_key=0462504

He went above and beyond the call of duty. The producers were concerned that he lost too much weight and his health was in danger, but he (and the others) insisted that he wanted to do it out of respect for the POWs.