cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 08:38 PM   #11
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
I have always enjoyed how inartful the classic rock bands were about expressing their desires in song. I put "Feel Like Makin Love" at the top of this list, but not on the gold medal platform, which will likely always belong to Whitesnake's "Slide it in" because of it's crass, uncreative attempt at innuendo, which of course, makes it cool in my book.

Contrast this with the incredible innuendo that the old bluesmen of the Mississippi Delta and New Orleans used, and then realize that classic rock was frequently an attempt at imitation of that form and you can see how something so cool can become something kitsch depending upon who puts their hands on it.
Supposedly, the name Whitesnake referred to David Coverdale's ummm, appendage. They definitely weren't subtle. And which teenager of the 80's didn't think Here I Go Again was the greatest video ever made?
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:11 PM   #12
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I have always enjoyed how inartful the classic rock bands were about expressing their desires in song. I put "Feel Like Makin Love" at the top of this list, but not on the gold medal platform, .
I give the gold medal to The Who with "Momma's got a squeezebox Daddy never sleeps at night".
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:24 PM   #13
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I give the gold medal to The Who with "Momma's got a squeezebox Daddy never sleeps at night".
I actually thought that was relatively artful, up there with such blues staples as "gotta get my ham bone boiled" etc.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:35 PM   #14
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Have you ever heard "Pictures of Lily" by the Who. It gives the Squeezebox treatment to self love.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:23 AM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
Supposedly, the name Whitesnake referred to David Coverdale's ummm, appendage. They definitely weren't subtle. And which teenager of the 80's didn't think Here I Go Again was the greatest video ever made?
I never watched videos if I didn't like the song or band. Sure, Tawny was a fine looking specimen, but the gals who liked that kind of music never appealed to me.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:31 AM   #16
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I never watched videos if I didn't like the song or band. Sure, Tawny was a fine looking specimen, but the gals who liked that kind of music never appealed to me.
Your first problem is that you are calling them gals and not hos.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:48 AM   #17
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Your first problem is that you are calling them gals and not hos.

My mistake. Shame on me, eh?

I just had/have a hard time liking 80s hair bands. Of course, that's probably because I am one of the original "new wavers", which means that I am the mortal enemy of Whitesnake, Motley Crue and Def Leppard fans.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:55 AM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
for the ward talent show. We want something fun so were trying out the Bangles' Walk Like an Egyptian. SIRS can pull off the "look" and sounds good singing it and shaking the tambourine. We might get two of SIRS thirty-something friends in the ward to join in so they can do the three-part vocal. The guitar is simple enough for me and the solo has just enough noodling to be fun. I'm also putting in the (la la la) chords from the Saw Doctors' "I'd Love to Kiss the Bangles" song at the end.

It seems impossible, but the Bangles are actually hotter now than they were in the 80s and sound just as good. Soccer moms have never been sexier.

Give Susanna, Vicki, and Debbi a listen/look (The bass player is a sub):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiRm7Clgi4U

and here's them playing Walk Like an Egyptian last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xXWR...elated&search=

and if you're a heterosexual male who doubts global warming, I dare you to watch this and then tell me the room isn't hotter. This is PROOF! I've never been too keen on the Bad Company song Susanna is covering, but whoaa...rawr!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzchBCJeAkM

If more gals looked and sang like that, chastity would be damned.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:17 AM   #19
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

How has someone not already suggested adding another verse to the song you are putting together. You have absolutely no chance of getting any love from the high priests on the front row of the talent show unless you add in another verse titled "Walk Like a New Deacon", or something along those lines.

Just trying to help you out.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote