cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do we have an unnecessary Hellenistic view of Christ?

Now, this post is not designed to challenge anybody's view of the man, the then mortal Christ, but as I read the texts more closely and study what scholars say the more authentic texts say about Christ, I wonder.

When I read Mark, followed by Matthew and Luke, I get the feeling, of a more human, more real Christ. The modern version through modern culture, modern KJV seems to sanitize Christ, albeit I imagine for noble reasons.

Nonetheless, I wonder if Christ's mortal traits were sanitized to combat the Hellenic traditions of their Gods having less emotion, less passion, so as to comport our Christian immortal with a sense that the Hellenic mind could accept him. Does anybody perceive this, or am I just seeing things not there?

This vantage point actually makes me feel better about Christ, not worse btw.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:53 PM   #2
Archaea

A good link for a case against Q.

http://ntgateway.com/Q/
Old 03-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #3
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Nonetheless, I wonder if Christ's mortal traits were sanitized to combat the Hellenic traditions of their Gods having less emotion, less passion, so as to comport our Christian immortal with a sense that the Hellenic mind could accept him. Does anybody perceive this, or am I just seeing things not there?
No offense, Arch, but I'm really confused. I don't understand the question. The gods exhibited any number of emotional whims and held grudges for years. Manifested every human strength and weakness.

Why would we remove Christ's human traits in an attempt to appeal to a population that embraced these types of dieties? Am I missing your point entirely?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
No offense, Arch, but I'm really confused. I don't understand the question. The gods exhibited any number of emotional whims and held grudges for years. Manifested every human strength and weakness.

Why would we remove Christ's human traits in an attempt to appeal to a population that embraced these types of dieties? Am I missing your point entirely?
I understand why the question might be baffling, because you are confusing Greek mythology with Greek view of characteristics how Gods should behave. Hellenistic views of philosophical attributions to how a God should behave included the belief that they didn't have the same emotions, didn't share pain and in effect were above that behavior.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:28 PM   #5
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
I understand why the question might be baffling, because you are confusing Greek mythology with Greek view of characteristics how Gods should behave. Hellenistic views of philosophical attributions to how a God should behave included the belief that they didn't have the same emotions, didn't share pain and in effect were above that behavior.
I see. You're saying there may have been an expectation that any God would act only according to reason. A true God would not determine his movements by (or even be subject to) emotion etc.

As you know there was a movement to remove all human aspects from the portrayal of Christ. I am not familiar with the history of the movement, but I wonder if the expectations you mentioned played into the development of that movement.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:39 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
I see. You're saying there may have been an expectation that any God would act only according to reason. A true God would not determine his movements by (or even be subject to) emotion etc.

As you know there was a movement to remove all human aspects from the portrayal of Christ. I am not familiar with the history of the movement, but I wonder if the expectations you mentioned played into the development of that movement.
Well, I wish you hadn't run off Chapel Hill, so we could ask him. Maybe Solon, Pelagius or AA can answer it for a simpleton such as myself.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #7
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Well, I wish you hadn't run off Chapel Hill
Me??? It was probably Flash with the handgun.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:48 PM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
Me??? It was probably Flash with the handgun.
He was so overcome by your beauty that he feared he would leave his wife for you. Or at least the little representations of you set forth in your avatar.

We haven't seen a contribution from him in some time.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:03 PM   #9
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
We haven't seen a contribution from him in some time.
I thought he made it clear he was here for the discussion regarding Dr. Ehrman's work. I'm sure he has better things to do than allow us pretenders (no offense) to leech hard-earned knowledge from his brain's repositories.

But his presence was indeed appreciated.

Now if anyone runs off Solon we're really in sorry shape.

ps. Really, Archaea, regarding avatars, I do believe my hair looks downright plasticky in this one.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:22 PM   #10
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Now if anyone runs off Solon we're really in sorry shape.

Soon enough, my obnoxious nature will show through and all will do their best to run me off. If only it were so simple . . .