cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Original Film Scores

One of the things I love about older and indi films are the scores produced specifically for the films. It's something of a declining art too, as lots of films nowadays are doing some marketing tie-in and fill the soundscape with radio-ready pop tunes instead.

Anyway...

While visiting my folks over the holidays my dad dug out "Dirty Harry." He was living in the bay area (Santa Clara, San Francisco, and Sunnyvale) during the Zodiac killings and was later trained at the police academy. He likes Clint Eastwood too, so this film is really a favorite of his. But that soundtrack is perfect! Just thinking about that spooky "Scorpio theme" makes chills run up my spine. The haunting wailing and the driving, predatory bass have the serial killer feel all over them. When I went to take the garbage to the street after dark (and after watching the film) that soundtrack was in my head and when I tripped the motion detector and the outside lights popped on I jumped a good two feet in the air and my heart was pounding. Sometimes it's fun to be scared.

Are there any original film scores that you really enjoy? I have lots of favorites, but would rather hear what you like.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 01-11-2007 at 08:22 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
One of the things I love about older and indi films are the scores produced specifically for the films. It's something of a declining art too, as lots of films nowadays are doing some marketing tie-in and fill the soundscape with radio-ready pop tunes instead.

Anyway...

While visiting my folks over the holidays my dad dug out "Dirty Harry." He was living in the bay area (Santa Clara, San Francisco, and Sunnyvale) during the Zodiac killings and was later trained at the police academy. He likes Clint Eastwood too, so this film is really a favorite of his. But that soundtrack is perfect! Just thinking about that spooky "Scorpio theme" makes chills run up my spine. The haunting wailing and the driving, predatory bass are perfect. When I went to take the garbage to the street after dark (and after watching the film) that soundtrack was in my head and when I tripped the motion detector and the outside lights popped on I jumped a good two feet in the air and my heart was pounding. Sometimes it's fun to be scared.

Are there any original film scores that you really enjoy? I have lots of favorites, but would rather hear what you like.
I think the best movie soundtrack out there is the Superfly soundtrack by Curtis Mayfield.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I enjoyed hearing the opening part John Williams score for Star Wars I. Alight! We're back!

And then, seeing the sorriest piece of crap movie ever. What a letdown.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Zulu451 was a big fan of the Last Mohican soundtrack.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:28 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Battle of Britain and Patton both have great soundtracks.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I enjoyed hearing the opening part John Williams score for Star Wars I. Alight! We're back!

And then, seeing the sorriest piece of crap movie ever. What a letdown.
Agreed. John Williams has some great scores and the work he did for Star Wars deserves its renown. Phantom Menace, though, is terrible and has some of the worst dialogue I've ever suffered through. To hijack my own thread, I'd rank the Star Wars films thus:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. Revenge of the Sith
3. A New Hope
4. Attack of the Clones
5. Return of the Jedi
6. The Phantom Menace
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 01-11-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:29 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

None of the new films had any emotional impact. Sure they had bad scripts--predictable, with tinny dialogue. But the core problem was that no one cared about the characters.

It takes a true master to pull off somethign where the audience knows what the ending is going to be. Lucas is no master.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #8
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

I always liked John Barry's score of Out of Africa.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:18 PM   #9
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Just about anything John Williams.

Horner as well.

Anyone else notice that the Gladiator and Pirates scores sounded like they were done by the same composer? Similar instrumentation, style etc.

I liked Dances With Wolves, I think that was Barry.

LOTR soundtracks were good, although not always pleasant listening.

And don't laugh, but I really really like the music in Chariots of Fire (much of it done by Vangelis on synthesizers, but good nonetheless).
Old 01-11-2007, 10:56 PM   #10
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Horner's work on Field of Dreams. Man I love the original score for that. It gives me goosebumbs.

"Dad? Wanna have a catch?"

Cue music...instant eye wetness.

I also loved Alan Silvestri's score for Forrest Gump.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"

Last edited by Surfah; 01-11-2007 at 11:06 PM.
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote