cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2006, 03:43 PM   #1
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Dan Fogelberg has advanced prostrate cancer

Fogelberg played heavily into our courtship and the sound of his music engenders wonderful memories. My wife was listening to him the other day and, off hand, found his site on the Internet (linked below). He has advanced prostrate cancer.

http://www.danfogelberg.com/

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:10 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah
Fogelberg played heavily into our courtship and the sound of his music engenders wonderful memories. My wife was listening to him the other day and, off hand, found his site on the Internet (linked below). He has advanced prostrate cancer.

http://www.danfogelberg.com/

Sorry to hear that.

We must be from the same era. I had all of his albums at one point in time.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:11 PM   #3
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski
Sorry to hear that.

We must be from the same era. I had all of his albums at one point in time.
Yes, we must be. I was introduced to Fogelberg by roomates right before he became popular. Listening to Home Free takes me right back to my freshman year at BYU. It was also a very magical album with the ladies.

Like I said above, I prefer his earlier stuff. We saw him in concert in Maryland and he was in some kind of poprock stage (it was hot and humid and with all the sweat, he started to resemble Kenny Loggins). Dissapointingly he played very little from his early years. Still, we forgave him.

Stuff like this drives home my aged state. I can't even watch the Rolling Stones anymore.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:20 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Wait a minute. Fogleberg was big when I was in high school.

I'm sorry to hear this. I remember his youthful bearded face on my eight track tape like it was yesterday. Stuff like this brings home our mortality.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:33 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't mean to be harsh, and I certainly am sad to hear about Fogelberg, but I was around when Fogelberg was at the height of his popularity and any male that voluntarily listened to him without the insistence of a female in whom the male was interested was a wuss.

He has had cancer for quite a while, I believe. It is too bad. But the music? sappy pop that was hard to take, IMO.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:02 PM   #6
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
I don't mean to be harsh, and I certainly am sad to hear about Fogelberg, but I was around when Fogelberg was at the height of his popularity and any male that voluntarily listened to him without the insistence of a female in whom the male was interested was a wuss.

He has had cancer for quite a while, I believe. It is too bad. But the music? sappy pop that was hard to take, IMO.
I think you're talking about his later period; I had an early album. His early period was different. But I've sworn off rock/popular music for some time now, anyway. So I'm not going to claim he is an artistic genius.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-02-2006, 09:11 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Who is Dan Fogelberg?

j/k.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:29 PM   #8
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
Who is Dan Fogelberg?

j/k.

Kind of a folk singer, popified. Processed Dylan or Neil Young and with more romantic lyrics.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-02-2006, 11:02 PM   #9
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I definitely agree that his early albums were far better than his last few. Kind of sold out to get more airplay, if you ask me. Either way it was a sound that I kind of grew out of for whatever reason. I downloaded an album a last year and it brought back lots of memories, but I don't play it much.

No, it wasn't Led Zepelin, but you couldn't beat Fogelberg for "make-out" music.

He came in concert to BYU once. Played in the MC.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:50 PM   #10
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
No, it wasn't Led Zepelin, but you couldn't beat Fogelberg for "make-out" music.
Yes, put on side one of Home Free and, well, magic happened.