cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Debates tonight...

I will be really interested to see how this goes. Aside from the specter of the KKK apparently showing up for a rally at the debate and claiming they have secured tickets (should be easy to identify for the Secret Service, I would think), this could be the beginning of McCain's last stand.

Righteous indignation is the tool he uses most and best effectively in debates. I don't know that he can do that against Obama tonight with all that has happened in the economy and his "suspension" of his campaign to work as a bipartisan. If he comes out swinging, he looks all the more political and petty. That robs him of his best tool.

Instead, I think he will come out and make an impassioned plea for the debate to focus on the economy and make several references to the work that needs to be done in Washington and how he will be flying back ASAP to fix the crisis! He may wear a superhero cape for effect.

I think he will be much calmer and controlled, which I think will make him look older and tired. He has a fine line to walk tonight.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:40 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

"Barrack, with the crisis we have had, I haven't had the time to do the normal debate prep that presidential candidates go through. I'm going to be speaking off the cuff, and from the heart. It's going to be about solutions tonight. And leadership. And how Americans can come together."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:40 PM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
and how he will be flying back ASAP to fix the crisis!
Yikes, I hope he isn't the pilot!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:53 PM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Yikes, I hope he isn't the pilot!

Just imagine how tired his arms will get.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:56 PM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

McCain has been working day and night in Washington to save the country. Obama has been at "debate camp" (that's really what they call it). I'm reminded of Lincoln, exhausted and on a long train ride to Gettysburg, no time to prepare a long speech...

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:58 PM   #6
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
McCain has been working day and night in Washington to save the country. Obama has been at "debate camp" (that's really what they call it). I'm reminded of Lincoln, exhausted and on a long train ride to Gettysburg, no time to prepare a long speech...

I get your point but if you even think that McCain MIGHT be able to pull out something as elegant and meaningful as the Gettysburg address, then you are around the bend.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:00 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I get your point but if you even think that McCain MIGHT be able to pull out something as elegant and meaningful as the Gettysburg address, then you are around the bend.
Or, he's stuck in Lodi.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:05 PM   #8
SeattleUte

Listen: NOBODY respects the Gettysburg address more than I do! Just last week I walked from Capitol Hill to the Lincoln Memorial and read it and got choked up for probably the hundredth time reading it (which prompted me to excerpt it in my signature).

This place is losing its sense of humor. This is just one of many instances I've noticed this week. Is it the financial crisis? Nervous about the Utes?

—Paul Auster
Old 09-26-2008, 10:07 PM   #9
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Listen: NOBODY respects the Gettysburg address more than I do! Just last week I walked from Capitol Hill to the Lincoln Memorial and read it and got choked up for probably the hundredth time reading it (which prompted me to excerpt it in my signature).

This place is losing its sense of humor. This is just one of many instances I've noticed this week. Is it the financial crisis? Nervous about the Utes?

After all the ridiculous posts I have made in the last 30 minutes you are telling me I am losing my sense of humor? Now I might not have a good sense of humor, but I try hard and I daresay I have rarely tried harder than this.

Besides, are you saying you made a JOKE about the gettysburg address?

When at the Lincoln Memoriaal, if you are lucky to be there without a million other people, stand and read his second inaugaral address. Man, that guy could write.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:09 PM   #10
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
After all the ridiculous posts I have made in the last 30 minutes you are telling me I am losing my sense of humor? Now I might not have a good sense of humor, but I try hard and I daresay I have rarely tried harder than this.

Besides, are you saying you made a JOKE about the gettysburg address?

When at the Lincoln Memoriaal, if you are lucky to be there without a million other people, stand and read his second inaugaral address. Man, that guy could write.
I did. Since I was there at 10:00 at night there weren't that many of us. I've been there and read that stuff more times than I can count. It's my temple.

—Paul Auster