cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anyone heard of our school shootings?

Oct 24 - Manassas High School student shot accidentally during honors English class by friend.

Feb 4 - Hamilton High School student shoots classmate in leg during argument over rap music.

Feb 11 - Mitchell High School student shoots classmate in the school's cafeteria, leaving him in critical condition.

Feb 13 - An unloaded pistol is found in the backpack of a 14-year-old at Lester School

Does the nation know? Does it care? If so, not that much.

But let some white kid shoot up a bunch of other white kids and it's all over the news.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

they don't have metal detectors in the schools?

I recently went to a Dallas high school, and in the front is a guard with a metal detector.

I went to one of the rich high schools, and I didn't notice a metal detector.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
they don't have metal detectors in the schools?

I recently went to a Dallas high school, and in the front is a guard with a metal detector.

I went to one of the rich high schools, and I didn't notice a metal detector.
No metal detectors now, or at least they are not being used. The plan is for greater use in Memphis City Schools as well as more police stationed at the schools.

No metal detectors at my kids' schools, but our rich high school does have two policemen stationed there everyday. Kind of freaked us out at first.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It's the height of irresponsibility for people to allow kids to have access to guns.

Problem is that the cost of keeping a gun both secure and ready to use in the case of self defense is very high. (i.e. a small safe that allows almost-instant access). A trigger lock is cheap, but it is also difficult to open (have to find key, open lock--and keys are accessible to the kids).

Maybe instead of a rebate to every American, we could invest in these kinds of safes for poor gun-owners. Just an idea.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:48 PM   #5
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I'm trying to figure out if you're being serious or not ...
I am serious. I think we've developed a tolerance for black kids shooting other black kids. That two school shootings in Memphis City schools inside a week got little to no national airing suggests I'm correct. I don't think this is a good thing and suggests some disparity based on race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
I think national media coverage has A LOT more to do with numbers than race.
Kid (or kids) start randomly taking out people in the classrooms, halls or auditorium and its a story. One kid having a disagreement with another that results in gunfire, no national story.
I agree to an extent, but these were two shootings within a week. Yet it got little to no play in the national media. But we're going to get an orgy of coverage over this NIU shooting.

Why? How? What can we all do? Yet black kids shoot other black kids and we seem to turn away. Not our problem.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I am serious. I think we've developed a tolerance for black kids shooting other black kids. That two school shootings in Memphis City schools inside a week got little to no national airing suggests I'm correct. I don't think this is a good thing and suggests some disparity based on race.

I agree to an extent, but these were two shootings within a week. Yet it got little to no play in the national media. But we're going to get an orgy of coverage over this NIU shooting.

Why? How? What can we all do? Yet black kids shoot other black kids and we seem to turn away. Not our problem.
Oh come on, myboynoah, you aren't this callous. Do you realize that 8 people died yesterday, and another 2-3 are in critical condition? Did that happen in any of your circumstances? Did you know the VTech shooter was not white?

And is this really the time to be playing the "why don't you notice us too" race card? Do you applaud anti-war protestors that show up at servicemen's funerals?

There is a time and a place, buddy, and your judgment is way off on this one.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
There is a time and a place, buddy, and your judgment is way off on this one.
I've been thinking about writing this post since Monday. Just got around to it.

I don't think I'm that callous. Just a question I thought should be asked.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:00 PM   #8
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

We expect shootings in schools with black neighborhoods that have 100x the homicide rate of a upper-middle class white school district. Therefore, when it happens, it just isn't as "newsworthy".

In Allentown, a 10 by 15 block area, which is at most 5%-10% of the total surface area of Allentown, had 95% of the murders last year.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 02-15-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:14 PM   #9
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I've been thinking about writing this post since Monday. Just got around to it.

I don't think I'm that callous. Just a question I thought should be asked.
I think if a black NIU graduate showed up and shot 22 people, killed 7 of them, and then killed himself, it would be getting just as much coverage as it is now.

To compare this story's coverage (or any tragedy of a similar scale) to the discovery of an unloaded gun in some 14-year-old kid's backpack is really obtuse.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #10
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I started a thread about these shootings the other day. Had a few insightful responses:

http://www.utefans.net/message.php?id=568075
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote