cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road
Default Worldwide Leadership Training last weekend

Surprised no one commented on this, thus far. With Sister Beck, Elder Oaks, and Elder Packer all making appearances, one would think CG controversy would be rich and diverse.

Anyway, not sure how a meeting to which "all adults, 18 and older" are invited could be considered a "Leadership" meeting, but here's a few things I got out of it:

Sister Beck (RS): The very first comment she made was about how hard it is for women who are left alone (single, divorced, widowed, whatever), and how much she admires those who are, and yet "don't abandon the plan." She talked about having a "gospel-driven" culture, and counseled us to be supportive of couples who desire children but for whatever reason can't, and single sisters who have never been married. She said not to fight the desire to have children--it is natural because it is divine in origin.

Consistent with her GC talk, and very different, I might note, than the demonization of Beck that ran rampant here and among other rent-a-intellectuals.

Sister Tanner (YW): Indicated that her husband had not heard anything in church that he hadn't heard first at home. Counselled those who don't have the "ideal" family situation to not feel bad about themselves.

Sister Lant (Primary): Counselled against judging those families around us, in any regard, whether thinking they are "better" or thinking they are "worse" than our own.

Elder Oaks: Challenged fathers to take the leadership role in spiritual matters, calling FHE, family scripture study, etc. Counselled parents to not take personally the poor decision making of their children. "Don't give up, but cease feeling guilty." Also said not to disparage the term "homemaking" or what it stands for.

The key line of the night belonged to Sister Beck, who said that sometimes excessive meetings can take us away from why we're at church: to renew covenants. To which l looked at a friend next to me and said, "Like this one?"

Heh.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 02-14-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Surprised no one commented on this, thus far. With Sister Beck, Elder Oaks, and Elder Packer all making appearances, one would think CG controversy would be rich and diverse.

Anyway, not sure how a meeting to which "all adults, 18 and older" are invited could be considered a "Leadership" meeting, but here's a few things I got out of it:

Sister Beck (RS): The very first comment she made, was about how hard it is for women who are left alone (single, divorced, widowed, whatever), and how much she admires those who are, and yet "don't abandon the plan." She talked about having a "gospel-driven" culture, and counseled us to be supportive of couples who desire children but for whatever reason can't, and single sisters who have never been married. She said not to fight the desire to have children--it is natural because it is divine in origin.

Consistent with her GC talk, and very different, I might note, than the demonization of Beck that ran rampant here and among other rent-a-intellectuals.

Sister Tanner (YW): Indicated that her husband had not heard anything in church that he hadn't heard first at home. Counselled those who don't have the "ideal" family situation to not feel bad about themselves.

Sister Lant (Primary): Counselled against judging those families around us, in any regard, whether thinking they are "better" or thinking they are "worse" than our own.

Elder Oaks: Challenged fathers to take the leadership role in spiritual matters, calling FHE, family scripture study, etc. Counselled parents to not take personally the poor decision making of their children. "Don't give up, but cease feeling guilty." Also said not to disparage the term "homemaking" or what it stands for.

The key line of the night belonged to Sister Beck, who said that sometimes excessive meetings can take us away from why we're at church: to renew covenants. To which l looked at a friend next to me and said, "Like this one?"

Heh.

I find it is almost always in an excess meeting that we are counseled not to have excessive meetings.

I also wondered about the Leadership nature of the meeting given that all were invited (in our stake it was even suggested that we invite non-members) and I wondered if it had to do with the heightened scrutiny of the church resulting from Romney's campaign. I also wondered if the March Ensign which is wholly devoted to Christ was also timed to dispel notions spread in the popular press that we are not Christians.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I couldn't make it to the meeting. My campout ran long because the boys were being lazy and didn't want to pickup and clean up. And then of course it took the parents of one of the boys some 40 minutes to come and pick him up.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I also wondered if the March Ensign which is wholly devoted to Christ was also timed to dispel notions spread in the popular press that we are not Christians.
Easter is in March this year. I would assume that is the reason for the Christ-focused issue.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
Easter is in March this year. I would assume that is the reason for the Christ-focused issue.

Sure, but have you seen the issue? It is wholly, and I mean wholly about Jesus, even including a nice discussion of grace that even Jay will like (I think), as well as a comment making clear that Joseph Smith is no more than other prohpets in the pantheon of Mormon belief. I have never seen one just like this before, but Easter comes every year.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
splitbamboo

splitbamboo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

In a Church that puts so much stock in a lay leadership, I find leadership only meetings quaint and a little insulting. At any given time we "qualify" to go by virtue of our current calling. But as a CTR teacher (or whatever), you don't.

I was pleased that they had a meeting like this. Though I doubt it will happen, I would hope that all "leadership" meetings like this from SL are like this in the future. I like sitting with my wife in this kind of setting...
splitbamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Sorry Tex. I was coaching a b-ball game (i.e., spending quality time with one of my kids) and couldn't make it.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

I thought it was a pretty good meeting. I liked the roundtable discussion idea, although it dragged on for about a half hour too long. It was cool to see a bit more of Holland's and Oak's personalities come through in the more relaxed, informal format.

BKP looked old and tired and fumbled through his talk, I felt bad for him. I seriously doubt he outlives Monson. Hopefully that gives liberal Mormons some comfort.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:40 PM   #9
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
I thought it was a pretty good meeting. I liked the roundtable discussion idea, although it dragged on for about a half hour too long. It was cool to see a bit more of Holland's and Oak's personalities come through in the more relaxed, informal format.

BKP looked old and tired and fumbled through his talk, I felt bad for him. I seriously doubt he outlives Monson. Hopefully that gives liberal Mormons some comfort.
I agree on both counts. The meeting could have been half the length. Just when I thought it might end, Elder Oaks would say, "Another thing I want to point out ..."

Packer really looked old to me for the first time this weekend. Sad.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:56 PM   #10
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
That would make Elder Perry the new #2.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote