cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How wide the divide...

Quote:
The Rev. Rob McCoy, pastor of Calvary Chapel in Thousand Oaks, Calif., who speaks at evangelical events across the country, told The Washington Times, "I will vote for McCain unless he does one thing. You know what that is? If he puts Romney on the ticket as veep.
"It will alienate the entire evangelical community - 62 million self-professing evangelicals in this country, half of them registered to vote, are going to be deeply saddened," Mr. McCoy added.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/jul/29/evangelicals-warn-against-mccain-romney-ticket/
On the other hand, I could honestly see Utah swinging blue for a season if Huckabee were placed on the ticket.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This makes me primary mad all over again:

Quote:
Prominent evangelical leaders are warning Sen. John McCain against picking former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney as his running mate, saying their troops will abandon the Republican ticket on Election Day if that happens.

They say Mr. Romney lacks trust on issues such as outlawing abortion and opposing same-sex marriage and because he is a Mormon. Opposition is particularly powerful among those who supported former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee in the Republican presidential primaries earlier this year.

"McCain and Romney would be like oil and water," said evangelical novelist Tim LaHaye, who supported Mr. Huckabee. "We aren't against Mormonism, but Romney is not a thoroughgoing evangelical and his flip-flopping on issues is understandable in a liberal state like Massachusetts, but our people won't understand that."
I started to get intense anti-Romney e-mail again a few weeks ago, when I wrote this anti-Huckabee column. When it comes to Romney, there is almost a religious fervor opposing him, despite a record of helping social conservatism in recent years.

I honestly don't know why someone so successful would feel the need to continue play-acting, faking his way through conservatism just to be John McCain's vice president (I find it hard to believe conservatives will ever be enthusiastic in 2012 about someone who was a part of the McCain administration) or, worse, John McCain's running mate on a losing ticket.

Mitt Romney — is an example of someone who came to the wisdom of conservatism through practical experience. He saw its reasonableness in the face of liberal overreach. We should want to embrace such conversions. We should want to encourage people to get Right.

Or we can fervently close the door to them and their contributions and fresh blood. What a good move for a movement that needs re-energization and recruits.
http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...FiM2M5NzY4NWU=

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Tex, would you vote for a McCain-Huckabee ticket?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Mormon mullahs = evangelical social conservatives

cuckoo. cuckoo. cuckoo.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:50 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Mormon mullahs = evangelical social conservatives

cuckoo. cuckoo. cuckoo.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Tex, would you vote for a McCain-Huckabee ticket?
I'm already having trouble wanting to vote for McCain as it is.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

in the same way that the church is fighting gay marriage because it will legitimize gays, evangelicals are fighting Romney so it is doesn't legitimize Mormons.

The irony is rich.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:07 PM   #8
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Mike, mike, mike.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
in the same way that the church is fighting gay marriage because it will legitimize gays, evangelicals are fighting Romney so it is doesn't legitimize Mormons.

The irony is rich.
check out the primary numbers. Evangelicals WERE voting for Romney....even more so than McCain for example. The pastor is full of Texas BS.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:13 PM   #9
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
check out the primary numbers. Evangelicals WERE voting for Romney....even more so than McCain for example. The pastor is full of Texas BS.
correct. Romney got a lot of votes from evangelicals. Polls on super tuesday showed that evangelicals voted almost evenly for McCain, Huckabee and Romney.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:34 PM   #10
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
On the other hand, I could honestly see Utah swinging blue for a season if Huckabee were placed on the ticket.
he's full of it. He doesn't speak for 62 million evangelicals. The preachers are far more extreme than the flock.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote