cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Question for beer drinkers (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23596)

YOhio 10-14-2008 03:41 AM

Question for beer drinkers

Does it really matter if the beer is kept cold from the time it leaves Golden, Colorado?

cougjunkie 10-14-2008 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 278892)
Does it really matter if the beer is kept cold from the time it leaves Golden, Colorado?

Do leftovers taste the same as when they are cooked fresh? You dont like to heat something up, let it cool down and heat it again. It always tastes different.

So why would you frost brew something, then let it get hot in a truck, and then cool it down again?

il Padrino Ute 10-14-2008 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 278899)
Do leftovers taste the same as when they are cooked fresh? You dont like to heat something up, let it cool down and heat it again. It always tastes different.

That would depend on what is leftover. Stuffing the day after Thanksgiving is awesome, especially with a turkey sandwich.

hyrum 10-14-2008 04:23 AM

Quote:

Beer leaves that brewery?
Perhaps the urea in it starts to smell at higher temperatures?

YOhio 10-14-2008 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyrum (Post 278906)
Beer leaves that brewery?
Perhaps the urea in it starts to smell at higher temperatures?

That's just what the commercials say. I'm just trying to figure out why Coors has created a marketing campaign based solely on the temperature of their beer.

MikeWaters 10-14-2008 04:31 AM

The reason for all the beer ad campaigns is because it is essentially the same product fighting for market share.

When you can't win on the merits, you win with gimmicks and brand loyalty. Born-on date. Blue can. Draft horses. Dalmation. Famous football players. etc.

SeattleUte 10-14-2008 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 278912)
The reason for all the beer ad campaigns is because it is essentially the same product fighting for market share.

When you can't win on the merits, you win with gimmicks and brand loyalty. Born-on date. Blue can. Draft horses. Dalmation. Famous football players. etc.

LOL. I don't know the answer to YOhio's question, but this is nonsense, I know. All beers are not the same. They're not like cigarettes or vodka. I do think there's not much difference between Coors and Budweiser, that's true. But among more toney beers there are infinite permutations, for better or worse. And put that last clause in italics. Because I like insipid American beers better than a lot of "craft beers." I always like a pilsener or pale lager best. Which is probably why I favor the Japanese beers, Saporo or Asahi.

landpoke 10-14-2008 01:32 PM

Quote:

Yes and no. You don't want beer to get hot for a long period of time or it will, for lack of a better term, spoil. Basically it will become vinegary much the same as wine does if left in a hot car for too long. So, to answer your question, room temperature is fine and being kept cold from the time it leaves the brewery is just a marketing gimmick.

That being said, American macro brews are lacking in the qualities (taste) that are found in craft and many European brews. Thus keeping the beer cold covers up many of the taste flaws and "enhances drinkability."

Finally, I love Coors.

TripletDaddy 10-14-2008 01:38 PM

Shipping beer in refrigerated trucks is simply a marketing gimmick.

Sincerely,

Creamy Nougat in candy bars
Nooks and crannies in Thomas's English Muffins
Retsin in Certs

SeattleUte 10-14-2008 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 278935)
Finally, I love Coors.

Let's be clear on this. This is a political, not a culinary, statement.

landpoke 10-14-2008 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 278979)
Let's be clear on this. This is a political, not a culinary, statement.

While I do support the Heritage Foundation in their fight against Global Communism, this was merely a statement of my love for the fine products of the Coors Brewing Company, Golden, Colorado.

Oh, and I hate unions.

MikeWaters 10-14-2008 03:37 PM

btw, I doubt SU is very serious about his alcohol. I have friends that are very serious about it, and if I were a drinker, I would have been able to take advantage of some seriously nice stuff.

landpoke 10-14-2008 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 278990)
btw, I doubt SU is very serious about his alcohol. I have friends that are very serious about it, and if I were a drinker, I would have been able to take advantage of some seriously nice stuff.

For example?

MikeWaters 10-14-2008 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 279002)
For example?

My friend's dad is a serious wine collector. I want to say he has thousands of bottles. Real snob about the stuff. This friend is a small-time collector himself now. My other friend has some nice stuff he inherited from his uncle who actually died because of stuff related to his alcoholism. When they drink beer, it is never from a can, it is the dark black stuff.

TripletDaddy 10-14-2008 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 279005)
When they drink beer, it is never from a can, it is the dark black stuff.

What you are talking about is called stout...or porter. Thicker than an ale.

guiness is a popular example of dark, thick syrupy refreshment.

landpoke 10-14-2008 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 279019)
What you are talking about is called stout...or porter. Thicker than an ale.

guiness is a popular example of dark, thick syrupy refreshment.

Stout and porter are quite different. Stout is just that, stout. A thick, heavy, malty beer, often with a lot of smoke. Porter, despite being similar in appearance, is actually much lighter on the palate, less smoke and malt. Brown ale is another example that looks similar to a stout but is much lighter in taste and feel.

TripletDaddy 10-14-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 279023)
Stout and porter are quite different. Stout is just that, stout. A thick, heavy, malty beer, often with a lot of smoke. Porter, despite being similar in appearance, is actually much lighter on the palate, less smoke and malt. Brown ale is another example that looks similar to a stout but is much lighter in taste and feel.

Sure. but when you say "dark black stuff," are you referring to a stout or a porter? or an ale?

there is no way of knowing, which is why I mentioned all three.

landpoke 10-14-2008 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 279024)
Sure. but when you say "dark black stuff," are you referring to a stout or a porter? or an ale?

there is no way of knowing, which is why I mentioned all three.

Sorry, I was just engaging in exposition. Adding depth and breadth to your post.

And yes, Waters is pulling crap out of his ass. Reminds me of a guy in our barn of an office here. He was complaining to me about this beer he bought. Said it was this dark heavy stuff like Guiness. Said he couldn't stomach the stuff and would I drink it if he brought it in. I said sure. The beer he brought in is a rather disappointing pale ale called Bitch Creek (of which I've purchased several six packs, but only because the name makes me smile) and is as close to a "dark beer" as water is to whiskey. So, to your point, Waters once again is throwing out something he heard in passing in an attempt to appear that he knows what he is talking about.

TripletDaddy 10-14-2008 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 279029)
And yes, Waters is pulling crap out of his ass. Reminds me of a guy in our barn of an office here. He was complaining to me about this beer he bought. Said it was this dark heavy stuff like Guiness. Said he couldn't stomach the stuff and would I drink it if he brought it in. I said sure. The beer he brought in is a rather disappointing pale ale called Bitch Creek (of which I've purchased several six packs, but only because the name makes me smile) and is as close to a "dark beer" as water is to whiskey. So, to your point, Waters once again is throwing out something he heard in passing in an attempt to appear that he knows what he is talking about.

Good point.

Why don't we discuss this further over some beer on the rocks?

landpoke 10-14-2008 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 279034)
Good point.

Why don't we discuss this further over some beer on the rocks?

Nice!

RC Vikings 10-14-2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 279005)
My friend's dad is a serious wine collector. I want to say he has thousands of bottles. Real snob about the stuff. This friend is a small-time collector himself now. My other friend has some nice stuff he inherited from his uncle who actually died because of stuff related to his alcoholism. When they drink beer, it is never from a can, it is the dark black stuff.

Obviously you have never tried the dark black stuff. I never liked the stuff until one day I tried a Michalob Light, so light and refreshing. It's been a long time but I still miss having a cold one when I go out to eat.

MikeWaters 10-14-2008 09:53 PM

apparently I am one of the few people on this board who is not a current or former beer drinker.

Runner Coug 10-14-2008 10:10 PM

My beer days took place in high school, so my knowledge of the subject is limited to Schlitz, Pabst Blue Ribbon and Milwaukee's Best.

TripletDaddy 10-14-2008 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 279273)
My beer days took place in high school, so my knowledge of the subject is limited to Schlitz, Pabst Blue Ribbon and Milwaukee's Best.

What about...

Here's to good friends
tonight is kind of special
the beer we'll pour
must say something more somehow
so tonight (tonight)
let it be lowenbrau (let it be lowenbrau)

Coach McGuirk 10-26-2008 09:15 AM

I prefer my beer made in the land of sky blue waters.

RockyBalboa 10-28-2008 04:38 PM

Couple years ago at the Ziggy Marley concert at The Depot one of my friends walked over to me with a Guiness beer and said he bought it for me. I told him I didn't drink, but I thanked him for the gesture and did take a couple of gulps and handed it to his other friend who was more than happy to finish it off.

It was nasty tasting.

OrangeUte 10-31-2008 01:55 AM

Some of the guys I work with, and my sister, drink an ale called Fat Tire. They say it is a great beer.