cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   MindfulCoug, give your perspective on the current ME conflict if you will. (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29159)

MikeWaters 05-22-2019 03:09 AM

It's a minefield to make any kind of critical comment of Israel.

I have a friend who is Palestinian American. I may have mentioned her before. She showed me on Google Earth her family's house. Of course now occupied and taken away.

ChinoCoug 05-23-2019 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 323726)
It's a minefield to make any kind of critical comment of Israel.

I have a friend who is Palestinian American. I may have mentioned her before. She showed me on Google Earth her family's house. Of course now occupied and taken away.

Israel usally demolishes homes. The only other country that did that was Saddam-era Iraq. They don't give Palestinians any permits to build homes on their own land, and if you build without a permit it'll just demolish it.

Mindfulcoug 08-31-2019 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 323727)
Israel usally demolishes homes. The only other country that did that was Saddam-era Iraq. They don't give Palestinians any permits to build homes on their own land, and if you build without a permit it'll just demolish it.

Its been a while since I posted here. The board used to LOVE Israel a lot and it used to rub “ Israel is the only democracy in the middle east ” into my face a lot.

Archaea 10-09-2019 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindfulcoug (Post 323744)
Its been a while since I posted here. The board used to LOVE Israel a lot and it used to rub “ Israel is the only democracy in the middle east ” into my face a lot.

Welcome back.

ChinoCoug 10-17-2019 08:47 PM

Quote:

I consider them a democracy. With a few caveats:

1. Their human rights record is the lousiest for a liberal democracy.
2. They are an ethnostate. Nothing wrong with that, but that's not what the USA is.
3. The majority of their population comes from countries without a strong democratic tradition , i.e., Middle East and Soviety Union.

MikeWaters 10-29-2019 03:58 AM

Quote:

Actually, I think it was the opposite. At least, opposite compared to other sites with a largely conservative, religious American population.

Mindfulcoug 11-11-2019 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 323770)
Actually, I think it was the opposite. At least, opposite compared to other sites with a largely conservative, religious American population.

I wouldn’t dare visiting those sites. Your site and the other one are the most I could handle, mentally. To be honest, you are fair people considering how much unbalanced bad news you have been consuming about Iran/ Iranians!

Mindfulcoug 11-11-2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 323761)
Welcome back.

Thank you. It seems we never left though.

Mindfulcoug 11-11-2019 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 323766)
I consider them a democracy. With a few caveats:

1. Their human rights record is the lousiest for a liberal democracy.
2. They are an ethnostate. Nothing wrong with that, but that's not what the USA is.
3. The majority of their population comes from countries without a strong democratic tradition , i.e., Middle East and Soviety Union.

Umm, very lenient view toward the country where the first and foremost pillar of a democracy is a huge sham. Yet you as Americans are ready to give them whatever they need to not only survive but thrive while my country, Iran, has to immensely suffer for decades with no end and not many Americans would even care.

Archaea 11-24-2019 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindfulcoug (Post 323775)
Umm, very lenient view toward the country where the first and foremost pillar of a democracy is a huge sham. Yet you as Americans are ready to give them whatever they need to not only survive but thrive while my country, Iran, has to immensely suffer for decades with no end and not many Americans would even care.

All one can do is judge from afar and externally.

I have traveled to Cuba and Venezuela, and what I discovered is nothing novel or earth-shattering but still bears mentioning. The citizens of those countries, whose governments seem unfavorable from an American perspective, were warm and inviting. The Cubans joked occasionally about the gringos, but they separated governmental disagreements from social and personal engagement.

I have many Iranian or Persian friends, with whom I have quite the lively discussion, but it always ends in a good meal and good enjoyment. I would struggle operating in the restrictions of your country, but wish nothing but good health and good fortune.